Saturday, July 5, 2008

We love Dom...

From Jessica Allred:
I haven’t seen Dom in a while and I just found a couple of days ago about his current health status, nevertheless the impact that his friendship has had on my life since high school has been huge. I first met Dom during freshman year in high school. We became friends through the lucky coincidence of alphabetical seating charts. He sat in the seat directly behind me in a bunch of classes. Dom quickly decided that it was his responsibility to increase my tolerance for all things shocking and gory. When teachers would droll on he would inevitably say, “Jessica, give me something to draw.” It soon became apparent that the game we would play over the next four years would involve me trying to think of something harmless and even sweet, a bunny or a flower and 20 minutes later Dominic would hand me a paper with a scene of destruction and horrific violence that included my suggestion. This was met with a horrified gasp from me and a satisfied laugh from Dom. His creativity, although slightly scarier than I was used to, never ceased to amaze me. I always thought it was fascinating that this kid with a huge smile and a passion for life was the same kid who cherished Halloween as the most hallowed day of all. He didn’t fit, for me, what I thought the stereotypical Halloween freak would be. He just loved finding a creative outlet. He is a lot of fun to be around and truly an inspiration. I am grateful that I was one of the lucky ones whose paths crossed with Dom. Dominic and his family and friends are in my prayers.

From Kathy Young:
I FIRST MET DON WHEN I MOVED TO BAKERSFIELD IN THE SUMMER OF 1963..HIS NEPHEW EDDIE WAS GOING WITH A NEIGHBOR OF MINE... WE WOULD BE AT HER HOUSE SWIMMING ANF JUST HANGING OUT...WE STAYED FRIENDS ALTHOUGH AT DIFFERENT SCHOOLS..HE WOULD DRAW MY POSTERS WHEN I RAN FOR OFFICE IN HIGH SCHOOL..AND I WOULD MAKE HIM REVERSABLE "JAM " SHORTS AS WE CALLED THEM BACK IN THE DAY... WHAT A GREAT FRIEND..I MET JANE I THINK AROUND 1966 ISH ...HIGHSCHOOL SWEETHEARTS AS THEY STILL REMAIN TO THIS DAY...A RELATIONSHIP TO BE ENVIED BY ALL..I WENT ON TO BECOME A HAIRDRESSER... AND IM SURE SOME WOULDNT KNOW..IT TOOK WORK TO KEEP DON TRIMMED IN THAT..."I'M A FIRM MEMBER OF THE 60'S LOOK!! BUT I DID JUST THAT UNTIL HIS MOVE TO CAMBRIA... BACK IN THE "B" STREET HOUSE., WHEN DOM CAME ALONG...I WOULD GO OVER AND MAKE HOUSE CALLS...IM NOT SURE IF I WAS THE 1ST ONE TO CUT THOSE BEAUTIFUL BLOND CURLS..BUT I WAS CLOSE!! I'M SURE THATS WHERE HIS GREAT LOVE OF FOOD, THAT HAS BEEN OFTEN MENTIONED HERE STARTED,...WE'D BRIBE HIM TO SIT IN HIS HIGH CHAIR TO KEEP HIM CONTAINED!! BUT I'M GREAT AT CUTTING HAIR ON MOVING TARGETS...AND AM STILL DOING IT..NOW IN MY 41ST YEAR...I'M SURE THE MUSHROOM CUT WAS MY BEST!! AND STILL A FAVORITE...DON AND MY MONTHLY HAIRCUT VISITS WERE ALWAYS A UPDATE ON THE KIDS LATEST VENTURES.. WHAT A PROUD PARENT..AND HIS TALENTS NEVER SEACED TO AMAZE US ALL...SO MANY YEARS OF BUSISNESS CARDS...MINE WERE ALWAYS THE BEST..UPON CLEANING MY DADS HOUSE WHEN HE PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR WERE MY POSTERS WHEN I RAN FOR OFFICE IN HIGH SCHOOL...HE HAD KEPT THEM..HE ALAWAYS ADMIRED DONS TALENT..AND I TOLD HIM STORIES OF DOMS ARTS...MY DAD ALWAYS ADMIRED ANY KIDS WHO WENT TO COLLEGE..SO I KEPT HIM UPDATED...YOU DON AND JANE..ARE JUST A COUPLE WHO LOVE YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILD NOW..LIKE EVERYONE SHOULD..MY THOUGHTS..LOVE AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALWAYS..DOM HAS GROWN INTO A STRONG MANY OF MANY TALENTS..MAY THE STRENGHT OF THE LORD BE BY HIS SIDE NOW AND ALWAYS..KATHY YOUNG

From Russ Travis:
Dominic's dad and I began meeting at Earthworm Studios about once a weekbeginning in the 1980's for coffee (he always had a fresh brew ready)around 7:15 a.m., usually to discuss the latest t-shirt concept I had comeup with in dire need of his supportive artwork. Invariably, Don wouldremark in good humor something like "where do these ideas comefrom?!" or, more often, "what do you do, stay awake all nightthinking this stuff up?" He was my off-campus link to the community,always very positive and encouraging (I began addressing him incorrespondence as "The Don," a tribute to the recognition that he had a "Godfather" communal quality about him that was bothcharming and, in my fledgling days as a conceptual artist, necessary). And, years later, when I came up with a more serious concept, one meant tohelp end homelessness in Kern County and beyond, "The Don" didnot even flinch, but instead proceeded to design the perfect logo whileproviding all kinds of hints as to how best to launch this project.
Like his dad, Dominic has unselfishly mentored many, and fostered thesame kind of goodwill and creativity that has become the Ambriz brand. And like so many who have recently shared their experiences, I feelprivileged to offer a few words of my own, and a sense of deep gratitudethat underlies these recollections.


This message is from Big Cousin Blee,
I am the older cousin Kimberly and the kids,Amy and Dom, always called me Big Cousin Blee. I babysat the kids in their baby and toddler days and a little ways into grade school. Amy was a great big sister to Dom and I remember her helping to feed him and loving to run after his things for me. They both loved to play games and I vividly remember how much Dom loved to be flipped over on my legs, both of their feet pattering on the floor around my head as they went around for another turn. Later, my husband Ray built the play structure and play house in their backyard and I remember the great fun the kids had back there. As Dom grew and developed his already attested to great art of mask making and haunted house creations my own boys got to experience Dom scaring them to death on Halloween. One Easter we were over and the Dom let the kids wear the different masks and they had a great time! From the time Don and Jane started their family they have always been a 'do with' kind of family. A rare thing these days. They involved their children in everything they did, their work time, hobby time, vacations, entertaining, it was all a family event. As the kids' orbit expanded so did the family's sphere of love and graciousness. What an incredible example of love they are. Even now, at Cedars the Ambriz family continues to share their love, through Dom's strength and determination, Amy's gracious encouragement, Jane's quiet, steadfast comfort, Don's arms of enveloping encouragement. May God continue to empower you all to live each day, Bringing It. My thanks to all who are physically there giving back to this wonderful family. Thank you Marshall for your willingness to continue this blog and bringing us together virtually.
Much love, Kim Brown

No comments: