Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Salute to Don & Jane...

Reminiscing is a road that‘s hard to stop when you start down it. Reading Benji’s recitation of memories reminded me how much of a crush I had on his dad when I was 10 years old and he was the handsome box-boy at our local grocery store in McFarland. But, that’s another story. I want to share about Don and Jane. We became friends while taking art classes at Cal State. Believe me when I tell you that Don was the most talented one of the group. I still have two of his paintings that I bought way back then when we were all poor students. He and Jane’s Catholic wedding service was the first time I had ever been inside a Catholic church and it was the only time I ever heard a 12 string guitar play a funny Simon and Garfunkel song for the recessional. But the priest cracked a big smile. Don and Jane always did things with style and creativity. Every time I’d drop into their studio from the old M street location to the fancier Earthworm Studios, I’d feel a lift. Don may have greeted everyone this way, but through the years his standard phone greeting to me was “Hi! This is your one and only friend!” And it’s been that way for over 30 years. Jane was ever the counterpart to Don’s nuttiness…calmly explaining to me how to make Baklava that melts in your mouth. There’s nothing to it! Sure! I generally took donuts for Don, Jane, Vincent because the coffee pot was always on and a visit to Earthworm was to be savored. I remember Dom, who is my son’s age, quietly drawing or watching TV in the little “kid space” Don and Jane created so that time at Mom and Dad’s business wouldn’t drag. Even then, he was soaking up his future by osmosis.

Through the years and business logo designs and countless framed art pieces, I’ve enjoyed the bond you can only have with people who knew you when you weighed 30 pounds less. I can’t share the funny stories about Dom. But, I can fully appreciate how all the wonderful attributes that have been spoken of came from Jane and Don. So, let me salute them! I love you guys. And let me say that the future is blank. There are more adventures to be enjoyed. There is a path still not traveled. And with all that is within me I decree! Set forth! Shout out! To every thing there is a time and a season. There are lots of faiths and outlooks represented among this circle of bloggers. But, would you agree with me that whatever the appointed time Dom has here on Earth, that not one moment of it will be stolen from him? That he will live his appointed number of days and that a life well-lived will be part of the treasure he leaves behind when the moment does come for him to transition from mortal to immortal. That the bonds of love and devotion from his wonderful family and friends will be strong enough to anoint him with continued grace for the path God is leading him. I pray for God’s healing power through His son Jesus to flow through you, Dom.

Love,Debbie Shick

No comments: