Tuesday, July 1, 2008

From Jessica (Matt's Girlfriend)

So I've "know of" Dom for a couple of years now as the Bakersfield legend in black house shoes who made brain cancer seem like a minor inconvenience. Over the last year, I've been lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time with this guy, who really is more of a legend by everything I have read! The first time I really hung out with him was last halloween...he was wearing a gun holster, had a head full of arrows and fake blood dripping down his entire face and couldn't wait to show us all the melting flesh and gooey eyeballs he'd created just for the occasion...now this guy knows how to party!

There was Sunday football at Sharkeez, late-night hot wings, minor injuries at a prestigious "after-hours" club in Vegas, fancy dinner parties down in the LBC...followed by some other not-so-fancy LBC activities. Dom introduced me to the UFC and the magic that is incredibly fit men in just their underpants rolling around in a chainlink-fenced westling ring. He is the only one who understood my obscene obsession with Buffy the Vampire Slayer (great monsters) and his creative talent and imagination always left me in awe. I have never laughed so hard in my life as after our night out at Penchanga for Craig's birthday, when Dom, Scoob, Ruthie, Marsh, Matt and I sprawled about a hotel room with cases of bud light and Scoob and the boys told story after embarrassing story about growing up in Bakersfield, what a pimp Dom was in high school, living together in that dumpy house after college, and the dangers of being Raider fans. The laughter that filled the room that night says it all.

And one of my all-time favorite things about Dom is Scoob. (Did you know her real name is Shannon!?) Matt and I were there for one of their very first dates. We sat out on the porch at a german pub underneath an umbrella during a torrential downpour drinking tall beers and eating bratwurst and potato pancakes. I suppose when you're falling in love, wet shoes and sausage breathe really just don't matter that much! After that night it was always "Dom & Scoob" and I've never seen him happier.

Dom is so lucky to have so many wonderful people in his life, especially over the last 2 years. From his incredibly loving and brave family, to his childhood friends and college buddies, to everyone at Mattell (your pictures were awesome!) you really are what helped make Dom the amazing guy that he is. I am inspired not only by Dom, but also by all of you.
Just don't ever forget to BRING-IT!

No comments: