Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Dominator

From Valerie:
I have sat down to write something a few times now, but every time my mind fills with too many memories (I am sure I do not have to tell any of you about that). He was my first love, but he is so much more than that. He is an amazing friend.

Long after we broke up (for the last time), we ran into each other at the famed
Sharkeez. We chatted, exchanged numbers, and both went on with our night. In the weeks that followed, we talked a few times and he even gave me some advice about a guy I liked. I think Dom called him a “chump” when I told him that the guy in question didn’t even know I was alive. We both laughed and started to reminisce about things like these:

I am not sure if there is a soul on this Earth (other than maybe the people responsible for making these movies) that has seen all of the Rocky films or the Godfather movies more times. I sat through countless hours as we watched these moves over and over and over again. I think he could have put them on mute and said most of the lines himself. Then there was his art; even at 16 Dom was so talented. He would draw, sculpt, and create all of his masterpieces while Janis Joplin blared on the stereo. I will forever link Me And Bobby McGee with Dom.

Dinner at the Ambriz house was my favorite time! Don and Jane we like second parents and Amy was like the sister I already had, but so much cooler. My sister had left for college when I was 14, so, at 16, having Amy do my hair, give me advice, and treat me like family was a gift. Jane’s Christmas cookies are still the greatest things I have ever tasted (I can taste the peppermint candy cane ones now). Even when Dom obsessed about what he ate and measured his food, he could put away more of those cookies than anyone. I am so blessed to have had the entire Ambriz family in my life, even if it was for a short time.

There are so many more memories: formals and proms, our first date when he picked me up in his big red beast of a car and my dad have me the “ watch out for this guy” look, nights out with his friends who graciously became my friends, Halloween (need I say more?), sitting at Earthworm Studios watching Dom work with his dad, helping him do his Spanish home work for his 2nd or 3rd try at Spanish 1, Dom helping me move into my freshman dorm room at LMU, holding my hand and hugging me as a I cried when my parents said good bye and drove away. He was my rock for so many years (when you are 19, 3 years is a long time) and I am so grateful.

When my grandmother lost her 10-year battle with Cancer, I was 18 and a mess. Don and Jane sent me following hand written poem to help ease my pain. It is now stained with tears and worn at the edges. It hung in all of my dorm rooms, in my all of my college houses, and now hangs in my home office next to the computer. I now send it back to the amazing family that sent it to me. I love you Ambriz Family and you are all in my prayers. BRING IT!!!

Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed a dream.
I was walking along the beach with my Lord. Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonging to me and one to my Lord.

When the last scene of my life shot before me I looked back at the footprints in the sand. There was only one set of footprints. I realized that this was at the lowest and saddest times of my life. This always bothered me and I questioned the Lord about my dilemma.
"Lord, You told me when I decided to follow You, You would walk and talk with me all the way. But I'm aware that during the most troublesome times of my life there is only one set of footprints. I just don't understand why, when I need You most, You leave me."
He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

Valerie (Crawford) Thomas

My name is Jeff, and I am the boyfriend of Amy Madrid, Dominic's sister.

Since first meeting Amy, I have heard wonderful stories and glowing memories of her younger brother. Listening to Amy go on about Dom made me envious that she had a brother, because I do not.. Once in a while Amy said I reminded her of her brother, which I now consider to have been the highest possible compliment.

From the few encounters I had with Dominic, I am now more convinced than ever that Amy's recollections of her younger brother were not exaggerated. He is a bright, strong-willed individual who would be a asset to any company, and a good friend to anybody who needed one.

I had heard about the incredible creative achievements: the Pixel Chicks, the Book for Mattie (his niece), and of course, the Masks. But when I walked into his apartment for the first time, nothing could have prepared me for the reaction I had at seeing the art on his walls. Some was macabre, others were super-heroish, but all the items on display gave me an insight into the abilities of this talented man. I was continually reminded of the skill that was needed to produce this work, as I am anything but an artist!

Sitting on the floor in Dom's apartment, right next to some of these amazing works of art, are barbells and weights. After seeing this, I realized the versatility that Dominic must possess. In my mind, I saw an artist who could work tirelessly on artistic projects, and I imagined Dominic putting down his materials and lifting weights to train for a triathlon. How impressive, I thought, was the balance between the mind and the body...

In the brief time I have spent with Dom, I have come to the conclusion that he is a person of high integrity, courage, and discipline. He is engaging without talking very much, and his energy is felt all around him. I really have enjoyed the times that Amy and I have spent with Dominic and his Great Girlfriend, Scoob.

It has been said, by people I respect, that a person makes a statement by the way he lives his life. Dominic has been an inspiration to me in the way he never gives up, and his love of family and friends will remain with me for the rest of my days.
Jeff Lavin, A New Friend Of Dominic Ambriz


The Dominator

DOM- Thinking back on when I first met you at Emerson Jr. High I remember sharing a class... You sat by me most of the year but we didn’t talk much until I heard you talking about a documentary about “white ganstas” in Little Rock Arkansas. It’s funny because I had watched the same documentary. We both thought it was the dorkiest thing we had seen...white guys pretending to be ganstas? (especially when we were surrounded by real ganstas at Emerson) until we decided to be the first original white ganstas in Bako.

It may have been your gansta ways or that perfect mushroom haircut...whatever it was, I knew we would be friends for a very long time and it was just about time to bust down the doors at BHS...

Dom was that guy in high school. The guy that most guys want to be like. I think back to summers at the Ambriz’s house- swimming (red & white striped or blue & white striped shorts for the guests) and watching Dom make masks. I say watching because when I tried to pitch in and make a mold for a mask, Dom wouldn’t let me use the latex (he didn’t want to waste it). When Amy got her new gold Honda Accord she would give us rides to the Valley Plaza with E40's Sprinkle Me blasting in the background so loud you couldn’t hear yourself think. Watching Mike Tyson’s first fight since being in jail...we were all excited, gathered around in the den. We couldn’t get enough of Coolio’s Dangerous Minds soundtrack. Spring Break in San Diego when you introduced me to Blink 182. Boxing in your backyard and watching you take on newcomers at Kroll Park. Then we decided to become pros and join Strong Bo’s... Remember Chuck the boxing coach- the only thing he was good at was killing a bucket of KFC!!!

After graduation you went to art school, and then a job at Mattel. I always brag about you saying, “My friend Dominic is such a talented artist...he designs toys for a living.” (That is the coolest thing I have ever heard of!) I am so glad you and Scoob got together...it brought you back to Bakersfield so often- almost like you lived here again. I was always bummed when I had to work but it’s a good thing the Tackets live so close to 3-way, I could sneak over and catch a little football with you on Sundays. We share a love for working out, the UFC, Kimbo Slice, white t’s, family, friends, and a good laugh. YOU ARE THE STRONGEST GUY I KNOW...BRING IT.
Justin “Peto” Hallgren


From Kathleen Faulkner:
Dom, We had the privilege of having you and your family as our neighbors on B St. several years when you were a baby. I didn't get to see you much after you moved but we have been friends with your extended family for many years (since 1964). Obviously in the years that passed, you have made an indelible mark in the world that will be an inspiration for all of us and to the others whose lives you have touched. Know that all our hearts are fervent with love and concern for you and your family in your struggle. God be with you and your family always. Your friends, the Kathleen and the rest of the Faulkner Family.

From Megan Simon:
Dom-the-bomb, we all love you and it is very evident. How heartwarming it is for me to read each message; i can only imagine how amazing it feels for you to grasp the love encompassing you. Even a complete stranger would be certain of how great you are just by seeing the wonderful and loyal people that you have chosen to be your friends and by the strong family you have come from. Their character is a reflection of yours.

(Thank you so much to everyone involved in creating this blog so that we all can stay informed and also share our feelings- you have done a wonderful job)

I have been a quiet spectator until now, but i must say that i commend your friends and family members for their unwaivering support and strength they have lent to you. What an impact they have made and what an example they have set. There is no one more worthy of so much affection.

Lots of love to you Dom, and big HUGS to everyone.

Megan Simon

No comments: