Tuesday, July 1, 2008

One More...

True Inspiration….

I used to sit next to Dom at the Design Center a few years ago, and we would talk about the Lakers, he would share pictures of his beautiful niece and show me his illustrations for the book he was putting together for her. I would give him a hard time about being from Bakersfield. I looked forward to seeing him everyday, he had this calmness about him even when he was under a tight deadline. It was as though the world was rushing around him as he sat calmly in his cube listening to talk radio, drawing and eating lean pockets. I often wondered how he managed to stay sane with all the females in our department (talk about hormone overload). I admire him not only for his artistic talents but for providing inspiration to those of us around him. Even my niece and nephew got to know Dominic through the Halloween Happenings at Mattel. They looked forward to getting the button Dom designed year after year. They couldn’t wait to add it to their trick or treat bags. Dominic inspired me on a daily basis, but the most inspirational thing Dom did for me was….he drew this little football player and on the drawing it read “who R U callin small”, after I had my son who was only 1lb 8oz. I keep that drawing hung to my son’s isolate the entire four months that he was in the hospital. That drawing (which probably took him five minutes to draw since we all know how talented he is) provided me such joy and inspiration during a very difficult time in my life. I am not sure if I ever told you Dom how much that drawing meant to me, you are truly an inspiration…..I am touched and overwhelmed by each of the stories that I have read from your friends and family. Just as you have inspired all of us I can only hope that all of these stories will in some way help inspire you through the toughest fight of your life.

Your friend, Tina Atkins

No comments: