Monday, July 7, 2008

Dom the Superman Designer...

Dominic is the king of the amazing and impossible - I have always been in awe of his talent and dedication. I got to know Dom about 3 years ago when I became his manager at Mattel. He started our electronics group at Mattel by creating the Pixel Chix line. He then went on to create a whole new process for brainstorming and creating storyboards and animation. When we thought that we could never possibly meet a deadline, Dom would bring it, and it would happen. He has passion that is unbelievable and takes so much pride in all that he creates. Even in his spare time, Dom works on his personal artwork, designs artwork for Mattel's Halloween Happenings, or does caricatures of his colleagues. I have the greatest respect for Dominic because he can pull a group of designers together. He teased and used his humor to lighten the mood - and even when I got too serious, he would jab me back to reality.

We has a brainstorm last year. To kick off the morning, every table was given a box of craft supplies and was told to create a disco ball. The tables had 20 mins and then would be judged on their use of materials and overall creativity. I've never laughed so hard as when I saw Dom's table's submission. Dom (primarily his big dome) was the disco ball! His head had a mirrored ball on it and he was covered in glitter, foil and pipe cleaners. He then put on his best Saturday Night Fever moves and, of course, was the walk off winner! Talk about bust a move!

Dom, you've taught me so much. Thank you.

Love, Tracy Thurman

From Bradley:
The kids of South Redondo learned how artistic talent and passion can become a career, even though my students are only in their pre-teen years. Parras Middle School hosted Dom in our annual Career Day. His enthusiasm and love for what he does touched all of those that listened with fascination that day. Because of his love for kids and understanding this age group, he encouraged kids to seek their God-given abilities in the arts and directed them how they can get there through basic subjects in school, to finding out what it is they are good at! For his effort that day, I want to publicly thank him on behalf of Parras Middle School for reaching out to many kids. Many times the average worker in America just goes about their business without giving thought to the next generation of workers. It takes a special individual to understand the importance of passing on what one knows, and directing them to seek out their dreams which most of the time seem impossible. Dom, thanks for the encouraging words of wisdom and for just being yourself in doing so!

Bradey Thurman - Parras Middle School - Redondo Beach, CA

From Kavi (Honeyman):
I have been wanting to write something for the last week, but I was desperately trying to find a way to get the pictures that would go along with these stories. No luck—they are in albums in storage in a different state. Sadly, Dominic and I have only been in touch a handful of times since highschool, but still, I have the most wonderful memories of Dominic and still hold him in a special place.
I met Dominic through Benji in Junior High at the melodrama plays. We immediately became very good friends- in fact, I considered him one of my best friends for many years. We could talk about anything, have fun doing anything and we even had a few slumber parties. I will share my favorite 2 memories of Dominic. First, was at my freshman year birthday party (Dominic was in 8th)- we went camping and Dominic came with us. We all piled in my mom’s minivan and Dominic agreed to let me braid his hair and put makeup on him. When we were all finished, we were dying to take pictures. Dominic finally agreed, but under one condition…we would pretend that he was asleep during the whole makeup process and didn’t know anything about it. This to me gives such a wonderful picture of Dominic’s character and personality. He is obviously such a strong manly guy, but yet he is confident enough in himself to allow fun events like this to occurJ I wish I could find these pictures!
Second memory- Dominic was now a freshman and I was a sophomore. We both were now busy with other friends and didn’t talk quite as much as we used to. However, we really missed hanging out and so we scheduled a sleepover after one of the football games. I remember all the strange looks and questions that we received from our friends- who didn’t realize that we were just really good friends and nothing more. I slept in the living room at his parents and we stayed up super late watching the movie RAD and eating junk food. I absolutely LOVE that Dominic has the rare ability to truly be such a great and wonderful friend to both girls and guys. He is fun, loving, faithful and strong. I am glad that I have had the opportunity to know and love Dominic and I am grateful that I am able to hear all the great stories of Dominic’s touch in his friend’s lives!!!
I have a whole series of gangster photos of Dominic in the 7th grade that I will try to find.

Love, Kavi Honeyman Simpson

No comments: