Tuesday, July 1, 2008

They keep coming...

From Tommy:
Dom and I have many stories NONE OF WHICH I can write down on any sort paper (electronic or whatever) but what comes to mind right now is Dom's first visit in the hospital. I'm specifically thinking about the four or so days before he was to go under the knife. There was nothing Dom could do but wait. My man showed absolutely NO fear during that time. When hefinally went into surgery, his room looked like a bar at closing time. We straight up had 40's and pizza going pretty much every night leading up the big day and we were all thinking about it but it was not an uncomfortable feeling for any of us because Dom madeus all feel welcomed and he just knew he was going to beat this thing, hence, BRING IT. -I love you man. - T





From Susan Reep:
I have known Dom since he was a little boy but I feel I am just getting to really know him! We met while our families were in work group together and he was one of the kids, a friend of Benji and Larkins and the Benhams - but to me, he was so quiet! I wish I knew better this funny, irreverent, goofy kid you are all writing about! I guess as grown ups we get an outside perspective if we aren't around enough, and Don and Jane were our anchors to the family. And of course Amy, the child-care guru adored by my grandchildren. So I saw Amy lots. Or "A" as she was called. Sue Benham was the neighborhood organizer and mastermind who had the parades every July 4 and the Haunted Houses every Halloween. I was amazed when I found out Dom was the Halloween genius! And not only at the Benhams but in his own front yard. When Wendy, Sue and I gave his fundraising party, it was "Halloween in March!" I'll bet it wasn't gory enough, Dom - actually, it wasn't gory at all except for that one jiggly brain thing.

Anyway, the Dom I am reading about now sounds like the person I would want to call if I were a bit down, if I just needed some fun, an ear, a companion, or some comforting space. And this Dom is also the one to have some rip-roaring fun with!

Naturally, this wonderful person who will no longer be the quiet little boy to me, but a superhero, has a wonderful family behind him. Wonderful family begets a strong group of friends.
I suppose the most any of us can ask for is to say we had a life well lived, no matter the span of years, and that we have done no harm. Doing good creates the frosting on the cake, and I like to think that having fun is essential to a good life and makes the layers. Dom has many layers on that cake and lots of frosting. I thought a food analogy might be a good one since I am learning about this love for food you all keep talking about. That, I can appreciate! I don't know whether it would be more appropriate to raise a toast to Dom of beer or a taco! Maybe we can do both. Del Taco for dinner tonight for this family - join us?

From Amy (Dom's sister...aka my ex-girlfriend)

I was an only child before Dominic came along and I've heard that I liked it that way. I was so jealous of having a new baby in the house, I didn't know what to do. Until of course I realized that having Dominic around, meant I had someone to boss around. This worked for me and I very quickly acclimated myself to the role of "big sister."
Dominic and I would spend hours playing in our back yard on "B" street together. Anything from cowboys and indians to gymnastics and hide-and-go-seek. We'd play school (this is where the bossy came into play) and restaurant. We'd paint and draw on hot summer days and when it got too hot, we'd run through the sprinklers together. Who needed a friend, when you had a brother like him?
As Dominic and I have gotten older, my fondness for him has only gotten stronger. You'd think he was the older sibling, the way I look up to him. There is nobody like Dominic. We will go our entire lives, and none of us, not one of us, will ever be able to say, "I met another Dominic." He is one in a million. He demands a presence like no other. That adorable grin, that contagious laugh and that energetic spirit is something to admire. And let's not forget those dancing pecks. Thank you again for all of your love and support. What we are doing now is exactly what Dominic would want........for all of us to reminisce.Fondly,Amy Ah Ah (that's what Dominic use to call me)

From Hope (my sister)
It is impossible to not be deeply and profoundly moved by Dom and his family and his friends. As Marshall's big sister I have known Dom forever as a background figure in his life. Since his first diagnosis though he has taken on a place center stage in my heart (whether he truly knew it or not). He inspired me to read different books and live a more active life. Damn it if Dom could run a marathon with cancer, I can get my lazy butt out of bed for a 3 mile walk! What I love is the way my brother loves Dom. I love the way that Dom would call Marshall out in front of his parents and family and have us all laughing. I loved how Marshall and Dom would joke about Spencer being able to take Dom at 3yrs old. I loved that Dom recognized Spencer and Dave on the side of the road at a rest stop in Tulare and stopped to say Hi, even though he wasn't feeling well. But what I love most of all is that there is this much goodness and love in the world; that Dom, and his family and other loved ones can know how much Dom impacted the people he touched. I don't think we get to see that enough. We touch people everyday, even if we don't see them or they aren't our closest friends. We still touch their lives. I know Dom has touch and changed my life forever: as a friend, a mother, a sister, an athlete, and even in my work. I thank you Dominic. With all of my love to you and your family, Hope

No comments: