Tuesday, July 1, 2008

An Old Man in a Body Builder's Body

Dom is the toughest son of a bitch (sorry Jane) I've ever met in mylife. He's tough because he's strong like a bull. He's tough becausehe sets his mind on something...and dominates it. He's tough becausehe knows what he likes, and sticks to those things. He's toughbecause he was dealt some bad cards over the past few years, but neverlet those hold him back from making the most of what was in front ofhim. He is Chuck Norris tough, he is grandpa tough, he is tougherthan I could ever be. Yet he's so much more.
Ever since I met Dom, there was always something I couldn't understandabout him. When we were 20, he seemed to have the self-assuredness ofan 80 year old man who had seen and been through some serious stuff inhis day. He was my grandfather who walked out of high school becausehe disagreed with his teacher about what a feather would do in avacuum, who was on Normandy beach on D-Day and got 4 purple heartsover the next two years, and who loved watching Westerns in the cornerof his couch with his arms crossed and thumbs locked in front of hischest. It was eerie how much these two were alike. How could a youngkid already know exactly what he likes and wants to do with his life?There I was wailing through days and years of experimenting with onething or another, never finding that one set of things that definedwho I was, yet here's this kid from Bakersfield who's got it allfigured out before he's 20. It blew my mind.
Beyond that, the things I see Dom's core to include are:
- His loved ones - Good people attract good people, which is why I amso lucky to have the friends I do who have introduced me to equallygood people. Matt DeVille is the epitome of what a person should bein my eyes, and when he introduced me to Dom and told me how great ofa person he was, I knew it was the truth. Dom so stubbornly loves hisfamily and friends that he never felt the need to search for morefriends, as so many people do to fill certain voids in their lives.Not to say that he doesn’t greet new friends with open arms, which hedoes, but he knows who he loves and loves them with everything he’sgot.- His art – I’ve always admired how talented Dom was. Whether it’s asketch that he draws to waste time, or a monster-from-the-lake maskthat he builds, or a video montage that he creates, he is sounbelievably talented. Even more so, he found a way to make a livingwith that talent, which to me is all one could try to achieve in theirprofessional life.- His determination – When Dom sets his mind on something, whether itbe a marathon or a mud run or watching a game that isn’t on TV, hemakes it happen. When I’m on the treadmill wanting to turn it offafter 1.78 miles, I think of Dom who ran a half-marathon two monthsafter getting a tumor removed from his head, and I keep running. WhenI’ve thought of not giving my all over the past few years , I’vethought of Dom, and I’ve kicked myself in the ass. In the future,when I consider not living life to the fullest, I’m going to think ofmy friend who never, ever quit, and I’m going to keep fighting.- His quiet confidence – See the comparison to my grandfather above.Dom saw life for what it is, and didn’t try to force any of his wisdomon others who were figuring it out for themselves.- His sense of humor – It takes a little while to fully understand whyDom is one of the funniest guys on the planet, but once you figure itout, you appreciate how great it is. Even when he gets pissed offthat he threw an interception to the computer on Madden, I think it’sthe funniest thing on the planet. Yeah, Dom jokes around like therest of us, but it’s his unique way of making me laugh that I’llalways keep with me.
That is Dom to me.
I don’t want to reminisce like anything is over, because if anyone onthis planet could beat what he’s dealing with, it is Dom, the toughestson of a bitch I’ve ever met in my life.
Thanks everyone for your stories. - Craig

No comments: