Monday, July 7, 2008

Start your week with messages for Dom...

From Cousin Nick:
hey this is your lil cousin nick i'm over here in NY im in the army idont know if you know that. im doing pretty good i miss you big guyand i love you and you are going to make it i was thinking the otherday about me and you when we were at nana's house and we were playingcatch you always to take care of me when we had family gatherings. Doyou remember when me and you spent the night at nana's house and westayed up all night playing nintendo we were playing that boxing gamewe were up all night then uncle don came over and you guys wereworking on some poster for school you where doing for a rally i kindof help or even when i was doing a project for school and you let mehave some of your comic books so i could do my project i got an A onthat to thanks to you we have lots of good memories together dom wehave a saying over here in our unit "fight to win" you are going towin this because you are strong and you never give up thats what youtold me once when i was younger never give up and i haven't i'mpraying for you dom i love you with all my heart keep pushing on youwill get better i know you

love all of the Ambriz familykeep pushing dom love you

p.s zephyr life is tattoo on my arm the meaning of it is lt greek god's of the west wind's so let the wind's take your lifewhere destiny may go you make you'r destiny no one else does it foryou push on and fight hard love every one that is helping my cousin

From Katie Tackett:
I've spent a lot of time lately up at 3 am thinking about Dom (I'vegot a 4 week old). While being up at 3 am is far from my favoritething, it has allowed me to think about how lucky we have all been forhaving Dom in our lives. I have spent many middle of the nightfeedings trying to figure out where and when I first met Dom. Inormally can remember just about everything (much to Larkin's chagrin)but I can't remember the first time I met Dom. And late last night/early this morning, it hit me that it is very appropriate that I can'tremember when and where I met Dom - he has just always been there. Idon't think there has been a trip that I have made to eitherBakersfield or LA that in some way didn't involve spending time withDom. Whether it was in his, Marshall, and (for a short time) Larkin'sapartment in LA, at Marshall's apartment/house in Dallas, GrandmaTackett's house for Sunday breakfast, or the Wayne/Tackett house inBakersfield, Dom was always there. .Dom's presence meant that storieswere going to be told, which typically involved Dom starting thestory, Marshall picking up and finishing it, Larkin laughing so hardhe could hardly speak, and Benji mumbling something none of us couldunderstand, which would then invariably send all of us into new fitsof laughter. When I married into the Wayne/Tackett family, I gained anamazing extended family - of which Dom is, and always will be, anintegral part. Scoob, thank you so much for making Dom so happy theselast six months. I think I can speak for all of us when I say howgreat it is to know that Dom is happy and in love. You compliment eachother so well. I think back often to the afternoon we all got to spendtogether before the Lakers game in March - the memories from that dayalways bring a smile to my face as I am glad that the last day I spentwith Dom, he was going big in terms of how many hot dogs he could eatand had challenged Marshall to do the same.
Marsh, thank you fororganizing this blog and for keeping up up-to-date on the latestregarding Dom's status. I wish there was something that I could say ordo that would make this all easier. I think of you often and am soglad that Ruthie is there to hold your hand. You are an amazingfriend.
Katie Tackett

Creative Powerhouse & Brother

I am one of the fortunate few to proudly call Dominic Ambriz a friend, a brother, and above all…a kindred “Creative” spirit”!

We both live to “create” and he understood that. He was a stand out from the moment he walked into my studio (& my life…). He was hand picked and sent to me along with 5 other interns from the Otis Design & Toy School. It was going to be a true “tryout & audition” with the winner being awarded a paid internship to help me develop Toy Inventions & Halloween product. Yes the “H” word…In fact, when he found out about my pre-toy career as a “Monster Maker & FX guy in Hollywood”, he practically blew a gasket… he was so excited & could barely contain himself…He had a million questions from “silicone mold making” to the “best gelatin for fresh burn wounds” We instantly clicked and bam!… You can probably guess what happened next…Dom slayed the Beast (me), set his eyes on the prize & got the gig…but not for the obvious reasons.

Sure…his artistic talents were above average, clean and detailed. And yes… he is the worlds #1 Halloween fanatic!! But hands down from day one…it was his heart, conviction & passion for “the art“ that got me. You could see right thru him, he was the real deal and his eyes were the give away. In fact, one of my very favorite “Dom-isms” always occurred like clock work…Just as we would start discussing a new project and the various details & art direction that I wanted to see in his drawings, he would split off, slip into a mild haze and almost go cross-eyed? Wow, what’s up with that? A bad case of ADD? Does my concept suck? What?...As it turns out it was none of the above! For this is Dom’s method, his way of pre-visualizing an artistic starting point. From there, he was off to the races & usually blew me away with the results…From that day forward, if he did not slip into that “Creative Daze”…I knew my idea was either flat and/or he just wasn’t feeling it...

It was such a blast to create with him…so easy & free with “no ego or head trips”. I miss it and will from now on…He always came off as both “older than his years” and yet so child-like at the same time. Our “creative chemistry” was compatible and productive. He could always be counted on to deliver on time & with his own brand of quality and personal flair. To this day, I can still pick his work out of a large pile of drawings…
As an artist, he went onto find his voice, his unique style and a happy home over at the Big M…Mattel…where he is well loved & creatively respected (which he earned one drawing at a time…!). “Artistically” speaking, he made “the Bigs”… he played for “Numero Uno” and went on to became a “Creative Powerhouse”.

As I look back on my time with Dom & the positive impact he’s had on so many of us, I can honestly say that in my mind & memories, Dominic Ambriz is & will always be a creative legend & inspiration to me… legends live forever, and so will the big “D”!

So proud to know & love him-
Robert J. Marino

No comments: