Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A couple more tonight...

From Cindy:
Ok, I have never "blogged" and will probably mess this up so hope this works. I do not know Dom that well but was fortunate to work with him on a couple Mattel projects. I saw Dom a couple months ago at a work seminar after having been away for a couple years. Same Dom - nicest guy. I had no idea that Dom was back in the hospital and am sending warm thoughts, prayers and good wishes. My kids overheard me talking about Dom and suggested I send a couple of their jokes to cheer him up. Never doubt the intuition of an 8-year old so here goes and I hope in the cheesiest way, it makes him smile:* Why do bees hum? Because they forget the words* How do birds learn to fly? They "wing" it
From Cindy (with help from Riley and Dylan)

From Dale:
Hey, I have know DOM forever. From Chester Lane to B Street to Elm (itwas Elm wasn‘t it.) I have different memories of different places. Iremember DOM’S grandpa , known as Curly , holding DOM when he wasreally small. Curly ,known for his artificially enhanced blond (readRED) hair, was showing a sub 2 year old DOM how to use a knife.Curly, not aware, perhaps, of the points he was NOT earning from Jane.

I remember a couple kids who played hour after hour in a B Streetback yard with an incredible custom build swing tree house set up.This was one of the innumerable things that Don got for the kidsthrough a trade out. And they had the all-time great cat Squeeky. Ihave a fond memory of Amee talking to her little bro DOM-A-ICK. I waslucky enough to have many wonderful days in the B Street home. I was afortunate guest at lots of holidays and barbeques. Homemade tamalesat Christmas WOW !!! Being a school teacher on many levels , since1972, I am acutely aware of the behavior of kids. What great kids Donand Jane have raised. Ames and Dom were (read are) awesome.

The Elm Street home brought many more memories. One a can’t forgetwas what I like the call “DOM’s Monsters VS Amee’s Christmas . Ameswould set up this lovely display at Christmas time with snowmen,cotton snow and all cutsey stuff. I don’t remember if she had themanger and baby Jesus stuff. But no matter, the next time I come over DOM has monsters, eating the snowmen and I am sure the cotton snow wascovered with snowman blood.

I only got to see a couple of DOM high school basketball games, but Igot to see one of the good ones. DOM wasn’t a starter (read are youfreakin’ kidding me) on the BHS JV team. Well the team was down byalot and the coach put DOM in and he played great D and turned thegame around and won the game for the Roughnecks. Let’s see the handsof those that are surprised, seeing no hands I will move on.

DOM’s College day’s arrived soon enough and many times Don and Iwould “Make a run to the flea markets in LA.” Wow, the crap we couldfind! Most of the time a “run” would include a trip to see DOM, Marshall the boys. I always marveled at how DOM could get by on the barebones for furnishings. I never saw DOM as a “stuff” guy.

Many times at school a high school kid will as me . “Hey, Mr Barkerwhat are those yellow and grey wristbands for ?” It tell they are for DOM. Then I tell them about DOM. I tell them that these are forsomeone I am proud to know who is in a family I am happy to be a part of.
Looking back I remember that DOM was quiet most of the time I wasaround as he was growing up. He’s was always thoughtful and as we allknow incredibly creative. But I knew I had arrived, that I had gottento the inner circle (though I never told anybody till right now.) Iknew I had arrived when I went to Cambria for Christmas 4 years agoand got a great big bear hug from DOM. DOM I bet you never knew howmuch that meant to me.

Which brings me to something really important to me.
How do you feel about somebody?
Tell’em.
Oh, they know.T
ell’em and they will know for sure.
Do you love somebody?
Tell’em.
Oh, I’ll tell ‘em next time.
Hell tell’em now.
Can you love too much?
No !
Can you care too much?
No !
Live without regret. Live to the fullest. Live like DOM.

I have told Don this many times and I will tell all of you now.
“We are living the good old days”
When you look back in the future to these times please look back withwonder.Don’t look back and wonder.
DOM you are a great one and my life is better for knowing you.
With love to you all Dale Barker


From Cindy Chernow:
My son Brian once asked me why are we even on this earth and what is the purpose of it all. I really didn't have a good answer for him then. After reading all the e-mails to Dom these past few weeks, I know now that our purpose is whatever we make it. Dom certainly has proven that by the friendships he has made and maintained over the years, by the fun he has has had in his life and introduced into others; and by the love and joy he has surrounded himself with and given to others. Dom's life has definitely had purpose.

No comments: