Friday, July 11, 2008

Morning...

From Julie (Davis) Hansen:
Please excuse my grammar. I haven't written anything in a long time. I just heard an update about Dom on Tuesday from Wendy Wayne. My thoughts and prayers are with you Dom, and your family. The last time I spoke with Dom was a few years ago at Jastro Park. It was just like old times. Just to list a few fun memories: Emerson Eagles, Best dressed, Fighting in English class, Miniature golfing, Watching the Godfather with Sonia, Kissing in the back room while watching the Godfather with Sonia! Talking on the phone until we fell asleep. My mom taking us on dates, This one is funny, Dom and I got into a fight in English Class, we were sent to Mr. Brothers office. You know when kids fight it really means they love each other. That's when I knew I loved Dom. I loved him for his huge heart and his amazing artistic abilities. We were, (I guess you could say) boyfriend and girlfriend. Puppy love at 14. Dom and I were close through High school, sharing all the drama of each other's relationships. Occasionally writing love letters back and forth to each other. We lost touch when Dom went to Otis. I miss you. I would like to express my appreciation to Marshall for your endless support. You are an amazing friend. Thank you for allowing everyone who loves Dominic to share there heartfelt thoughts and memories. Love, Julie (Davis) Hansen

From Evelyn (Dom's Boss):
Hi Don, Jane, family and friends,
I am here to talk about Dom, the professional.
The incredibly talented Creative that he is.

I met Dom in 2003, when he was a student at Otis. Mattel Girls was sponsoring the Senior class project, and I had the honor of sitting in on all critiques.

Typically what happened with these Girls toy assignments was that the girls in the class were totally into the project, and the boys rolled their eyes, whined throughout the entire process, and then ended up showing us a vehicle line or action figures for girls.

Not Dom... he was more than comfortable with the project, and gave it his all.( and I am sure he got teased for it too) .

I remember how impressed I was with his incredible drawing skills, as well as his great ideas, and thought process. Wow, I thought…now he has the "it" factor.

Lucky for us at Mattel, he agreed to join the Girls design team as a full time employee when he graduated. (guessing he got teased again)

How in awe you would all be to have my perspective of Dominic at work for the past 6 years. To see this talented designer in action; thinking, creating, innovating, learning, and growing.

There would be no Pixel Chix if it wasn't for Dom. He was the force behind it all.....creating hundreds of sketches for our Pixel girl. For those of you who don't know ... this brand was huge, not only in the US but around the world . This is just one example... through the years he worked on "everything Girl" from Plush toys to small dolls.

More importantly, behind the raw talent there is the soul; his passion, incredible drive, and true love for the craft.

As you can see, Dominic lived up to my first impression of him, and actually surpassed it tenfold.

Please know that he is not only loved by his incredible family and network of close friends...but also by his Mattel family.
There is only one Dom for me.

Love, Ev BTW...his OTIS project was a Plush Puppy that a girl nurtures. I remember it to this day.

From Karen:
Well, I have been reading all of the wonderful entries from everyone and finally decided to write something of my own. I don't know Dom very well; in fact he may not even know who I am. My name is Karen Davies (Smith). My parents are Susan Reep and Mark Smith. Amy was my sister, Jennifer's, nanny when she had her twins about 11 years ago. Also, we were living in Westchester and were part of the Westchester
Work Group along with the Ambrizes, the Behnams, the Twacketts and others. Dom is about 8 years younger than me. I remember him being around, but never talked to him too much.

Anyway, having said all that, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the memories that people have been sharing. I can tell that Dom is well-loved. He is an amazing person, according to all his friends and family - and I'll believe that.

My stories involve Del Taco. We have all learned now that Dom loves Del Taco. Well, I do too. We moved to Colorado 2 years ago and they don't have them there. Almost enough reason to leave. But seriously, Del Taco saved me twice. Once was when I was a freshman or sophomore at BHS. It was 1986 or 1987 and BHS had NO restaurants near it that you could walk to and from in 34 minutes. (Oops, I wasn't allowed to go off campus). Finally a Del Taco opened on the corner of California and Chester. We could walk there, get our tacos, and get back to school right after the tardy bell. Perfect. Before the tardy bell if you were quick.

The 2nd time was in college. It was 1990 and I was going to UCI in Irvine. Again, no restaurants near the campus. I didn't have a car. Thank goodness Del Taco was within walking distance and open 24 hours. We used to go get the Del Beef burritos at midnight. The good old days.

Just thought I'd share what I could. Prayers to Dom, Amy, Don and Jane. - Karen

No comments: