Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th

4th of July brought in many new faces to see Dominic; Benji & Amy drove in & Jeff Smothers is making his way down from SF this afternoon. Things are status quo with Dom currently; he has been resting well, fighting to the end. The doctor came in a couple nights ago astonished how strong his heartbeat was. On Thursday night, as the group was saying goodbye for the night, Craig challenged Dom to an arm wrestling match. It got a good chuckle from the group seeing he hadn't really moved in a few days. To our delight, Dom ever the ham, was able to muster the strength to raise his arm and take Craig on. I think we know the outcome. It was so great.

There have been a couple other head nods and eye connections since then, which mean the world to those who have received them. The reminiscing has been flowing the past few days - from elementary school dances, to no stretching runs, to trips we've all taken. In Dom's honor as well a couple of 40 ouncers went down recently.

Keep the prayers & blessings coming; it has meant the world to Dom & his family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven’t seen Dom in a while and I just found a couple of days ago about his current health status, nevertheless the impact that his friendship has had on my life since high school has been huge. I first met Dom during freshman year in high school. We became friends through the lucky coincidence of alphabetical seating charts. He sat in the seat directly behind me in a bunch of classes. Dom quickly decided that it was his responsibility to increase my tolerance for all things shocking and gory. When teachers would droll on he would inevitably say, “Jessica, give me something to draw.” It soon became apparent that the game we would play over the next four years would involve me trying to think of something harmless and even sweet, a bunny or a flower and 20 minutes later Dominic would hand me a paper with a scene of destruction and horrific violence that included my suggestion. This was met with a horrified gasp from me and a satisfied laugh from Dom. His creativity, although slightly scarier than I was used to, never ceased to amaze me. I always thought it was fascinating that this kid with a huge smile and a passion for life was the same kid who cherished Halloween as the most hallowed day of all. He didn’t fit, for me, what I thought the stereotypical Halloween freak would be. He just loved finding a creative outlet. He is a lot of fun to be around and truly an inspiration. I am grateful that I was one of the lucky ones whose paths crossed with Dom. Dominic and his family and friends are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Marshall's and I have heard about Dominic for the past 8 years that I have known Marshall. To know Marshall is to know those that are important and loved by Marshall. He is such a loyal friend and I have been so honored to have been added to this blog and had the privilege to read the letters from all of Dominic's friends and family. Everyday I sit and laugh and cry as I read the postings. I have been deeply affected by Dominic and he has blessed me through his life and all of the many people who love and adore him. He truly is an inspiration to me and he is in my prayers daily!