Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A post from Ruthie...

I’ve only known Dom for under a year. My most fun memories of him are from the first weekend I ever met him, during Matt’s 30th in Vegas. Marshall had told me so much about the infamous Dom and I couldn’t wait to meet him. Months later I still laugh to myself about several of the moments there in that horribly wonderful city… I have included my favorite photo of Dom in the cab ride one night. I don’t remember where exactly we were going, maybe he does. But what I love is that “Life is good and I couldn’t be happier” smile planted across his face. That’s how I see Dom.

A month or so later around Christmas time, I was getting excited to meet all of Marshall’s family and friends he grew up with in Bakersfield. I was thrilled to meet everyone but definitely nervous too. It was a holiday party of about 40-50 of his family and closest friends I hadn’t met yet. I had grown so fond of Marshall in such a short time of knowing him, so as much as I was looking forward to meeting all these people it was also very important to me that it went well and I didn’t embarrass myself too badly. Besides hearing stories and descriptions of who was who, the only person that was going to be there who I already knew was Dom. He had made me feel so comfortable and I was glad he was going to be there. The night before I headed out to Bakersfield I was on the phone with Marshall and Dom got on with a sad voice. He said I’m not going to actually be here for the party. I have to be up north after all. He kept it going for a bit and I of course was disappointed. Then finally he said “Just kidding, I’ll be here!” Needless to say it made me laugh that he did that. It also made me feel really loved that he was thinking of me and had guessed I was feeling nervous being in a big crowd not knowing anyone. “Comfort” is a word people have been using and that seems to me a great one to describe Dom. His calm, easy-going nature makes you feel so comfortable and at ease when you’re around him. And it turns out I had nothing to be nervous about- what an incredible group of people at the Tackett/Wayne household that day. The amazing community Dom has grown up in there has to have contributed to what has made him such a solid person.

I am grateful Dom is in my life. I have been able to see glimpses of the quiet simplicity Kelly mentioned- the pleasure in the small things. The caring, big-brother side of who he is. The loyal friend he has been to Marshall. And the positivity he exudes. It seems that having brain cancer it would be easy to at some point started letting all the possibilities overtake your life. But no- he ran a marathon, took trips, laughed a ton, kept his rigorous workout routine… from what I saw and from what Marshall and friends have said- he has never wasted time thinking about the negative possibilities. Positivity and optimism is what he chooses to live by. Fighting the fight and enjoying life to its fullest is what he’s about. In under less than a year I have learned a lifetime of lessons from this one individual. Dom I have an endless amount of love and admiration for who you are and what you stand for.

-Ruthie

(I’ve also included another Vegas photo and one of my favorites of Dom & Scoob)







No comments: