Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Today's Messages...

From Melissa Nichols:
Two weeks ago I walked into Dom’s hospital room, smiled and stupidly said, ‘hi, how are you?’ Dom smiled back and mustered his only word of the day ‘good’. Feeling two feet tall for not allowing something more appropriate to fall out of my mouth, Dom just starred at me and everyone else in the room. It was clear he was happy his family, friends and visitors were there.
I remember the first time I met Dom. I was a sophomore in high school and Dom must have been in junior high still. I was so intimidated by him. He was good looking, quiet and had that presence about him. You all know what I mean by his presence = tall, confident, kind…he fills a room. It took me a while to relax around him. Over the years I’ve learned just how kind and loving Dom and his family are...such warm, genuine, real people. Dom – I admire you. Always have but particularly in this battle you’ve been incredibly brave… Dominic the fearless. --Melissa
Amy I love you. I’m so proud to call you friend.

From Terry Todd:
My name is Terry and I don’t know Dom that well, unfortunately. I met Dom, Don, Jane, & Maddie, through Amy who is my girlfriend’s (Melissa Nichols) best friend. I actually saw Dom’s work before I met him for the first time. During our first trip to Cambria, Amy showed us a book that Dom, wrote & illustrated for Maddie. I was blown away by the story line & illustrations. I thought to myself, what a beautiful gift and how talented the author was. I can’t recall if I ever mentioned to Dom how impressed I was by that book…he is a very talented individual, as you all know.
The first time I met & chatted with Dom was at Don & Jane’s house. They were nice enough to invite Melissa and me over for dinner while we were in Cambria. Don was grilling pizzas for everyone, which were awesome (I hadn’t seen anyone grill pizza on the BBQ before). Being in unfamiliar surroundings at the time, I don’t have good recollection of speaking with Dom. I remember he was wearing the “Green Monster” T-shirt, which seems to be one of his favorites and he was talking about doing an upcoming triathlon. I also remember talking to Don about EBay and Jane about stock trading – something we share an interest in. It was a great time and I loved how warm and caring the Ambriz family were.
I only recently had the privilege of meeting Scoob and Amy’s new boyfriend while visiting Dom. A group of us walked over to PF Chang’s for dinner. Maddie had us all entertained by taking photos of the group and playing with our chopsticks. We didn’t have much time to see Dom. He was having an off night. However, we were able to speak briefly with Don & Jane and peak into Dom’s room for a minute.
All of the posts to the blog have been wonderful to read. It certainly paints a picture of how special Dom is and how loved he is by his friends & family. All of our thoughts and prayers are with Dom and the Ambriz family. -Terry

From Tammie Ambriz:
Hi Dom, I
ts aunt Tammie and I wanted to tell you that you are very much loved from all the wonderful letters that I have been reading about you. We are so blessed to have you in our lives and I know everyone feels the same. I can remember when your uncle Kim and I would bring your cousins Kimberly, Rochelle, and Megan over to your house on B Street and go trick or treating with you and Amy and your parents. We would all have so much fun. Then afterwards we would go and have your mom’s potato soup and Pie. Now I don’t know who hasn’t had your moms cooking but it's the best! All of you kids would start emptying out your bags of candy fussing over who had what. I also remember one time when you and your cousin Megan had both of your birthdays together one year and we had piñata and you were swinging the bat around and boy did we all move out of your way. I think I still have the picture of you doing that. Its funny how time just flies by and we all start going our separate ways. It’s the memories that keep us in touch with each other and certain smells of food (your mom’s potatoes soup) or sometimes when I drive down B Street and remember all the BBQs, birthdays, and holidays we spent together. How we spent time at Nana’s house and all of you played together and you were the only boy. And man you were tough as rocks. Fight on and fight hard because you Ambriz's are as tough as nails. “God Bless and take care”
Love Aunt Tammie
To Don, Jane and Amy I love you guys with all my heart. Dom couldn’t ask for better parents and a sister who are as caring, loving and devoted as you are. Love Tammie

From Deborah Cross:
I have always felt honored to be related to the Ambiz family. From the many family gatherings during childhood to working at earthworm studios in high school, I felt lucky to know, love and be loved by such special, warm and beautiful people. They all seem to have not only many special gifts, but also a talent for life which is rare and very inspiring. I was very blessed to be walking downtown some months ago with Kathleen Faulkner and happened to notice a very handsome couple coming our direction. Low and behold it was Dominic and his girlfriend Scoob enjoying some time together. We were so surprised and happy to see each other and Dom looked wonderful. We spoke of his desire to publish a childrens story he wrote for Maddie. We exchanged smiles and hugs and the energy and determination within him was palpable. I was left with such an excitement to tell my family of the surprise encounter, for my cousin Dominic has become a hero in all our eyes. I thought of the many Thanksgivings and holidays our family's had shared, of old photos and playing as children. My brother Grant always shared a special bond with Dom through their unique talent for making what some might call scary artwork cool - haha, and I remembered how Dom would make Halloween type masks, experimenting with ways to express the genre he and Grant both appreciated in each other. Dom always has an aura of confidence and assurance which makes others feel comfortable and inspired around him. I can remember being in awe of my Aunt Jane as a child and a teenager and nobody could make someone laugh like Uncle Don. I knew Amy and Dominic were growing up in a very special home. Once in San Luis Obispo a few years back I ran into both Amy and Dom and felt so proud to show the friends I was with "these are my cousins". Thank you to the Ambriz family for our relationship and to all who know and love them I would like to say Dom's fight as united us, inspired us and bonded us in unforgettable ways. Dominic's smile and hugs a few months ago are a treasure to my heart. I love you Dominic- Deborah Cross

No comments: