Monday, June 30, 2008

Even more messages...

From Jason:
As I recall memories of Dom, I can't help but laugh and sometimes cringe.Dominic and I met our freshmen year at BHS in 1994 walking through Elm Grove. I was the kid who so happily said hello every day while he gave me the "why are you always so happy" face. It wasn't until our sophomore year that we became friends when we worked in the student store together. Nothing like a Dorito boat to bring friends' together. Later in the summer, I joined the Benji/Dom friendship as we swam and watched movies everyday (sorry Don, I still have your copy of Fame). That actually went on for two summers. Senior year was about me going home with Dom and eating at the Ambriz' house every other day for lunch. I guess that's how my picture ended up on the fridge...it was more of a "wanted" sign. They were looking for their food and movies. Lol.
After high school, Dom and I both moved to la and the fun continued. We had a standing appointment every week to watch "Oz" with Marshall, and Matt. Dom and I would stay up for hours talking about everything from clothes (I spoke the most about that) to girls, to racial issues. (Remember that night Benji).
We have now been in la for almost ten years and there are so many convos and events to remember, most of which Dom would be better at than me. I LOVE THAT BOY!
Yesterday a guest pastor preached on a "Faith Blast" for whatever you're going through so faith is what I am using today and hope everyone will join me. -Jason

From Russ Travis:
I first met Dominic's dad the day he walked into my office at Cal State, Bakersfield with a request that I substitute a course taken elsewhere for one of our Anthropology electives (I was department chair at the time), and before he left the office it was a done deal. Years later began a several decades relationship (I needed a graphics artist, and Don was the best in town) during which I watched his kids (from a distance) grow up into young, flourishing adults. I never told Don or Jane that I occasionally used the Ambriz family (though not by name), while teaching the Childhood & Society course, as the kind of ideal to aspire towards when involved in raising a family-- as embodied by the remarkable results that both Dom and Amy represent. There is probably no greater accomplishment in life than successful parenting, or one that is more challenging. Jane and Don made it look easy.

No comments: