Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Champ is Gone




I remember the very first call I received from Dom; mid-week, about 2am Central Standard, and Dom was a little timid. He told me about his blackout headaches, trips to the hospital & now, the fact he was going to have a surgery to see if this growth an MRI revealed was cancerous. That call was in January of 2006.

Much has happened since then. The BRING IT lifestyle was born, friendship bonds have been strengthened, a role model for how parents should care for their children happened, and a lot of good laughs were had throughout this fight. I think that is very important to know that our fighter never stopped his life – he went on trips, celebrated birthdays, rang in the New Year & made plenty of stops at Del Taco. Dominic lived ever since that first phone call.

Today at Cedars, day 62, a wonderful group had collected to spend time with our fighter. Kelly & Matt had Del Taco for everyone (even low carb-Amy had one), Scoob & Jane were there, and of course Don was there with his coffee. I was lucky enough to be there too as we joked around, told stories of KFC biscuit runs, Olympic viewing parties & junior high exploits. Matt & Kelly had to leave & it seems they weren’t the only ones who wanted to go.

There we were, a collection of a son, a brother, a boyfriend & a best friend. We all were passing the time in our own ways, when Dominic finally gave up the fight. I am sorry to report that this afternoon at 1:49pm, Dom took his final breath. It wasn’t graphic or painful; he slipped away when we all were looking away. The love in that room was so tangible & wonderful. The 5 of us huddled around our champion & all had our goodbyes.

We kissed him goodbye for all of you. Over these final two months you have all been there & not only the family knows it, but Dom himself was aware of the love that he was at the center of. It is an emotional day, true, yet, some part of me knows that Dominic fought harder & longer than anyone else ever could or would have. Even in his final days he Brought It – something I hope each of you take on.

There will be more on arrangements (one in LA & one in Bakersfield) a little later. Until then, thank you each for being wonderful to Dom, supportive of his fight, and part of the BRING IT community.

Bring It. Live It.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel blessed for knowing Dominic. I didn't know him well, but well enough to know that he was an amazing person. I feel fortunate to have spent some wonderful evenings with Dominic and the gang at the Wayne/Tackett household. I appreciated his humor, his warm personality, and his thoughtfulness.

joyce said...

A quote that provided me some comfort at a difficult time...I hope it offers some comfort to you as well.

Death leaves a heartache
no one can heal,
love leaves a memory
no one can steal.
~From a headstone in Ireland

My heart goes out to you.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Our hearts are with all of Dom's family and friends. Dom was such an inspiration for our son's desire to be an artist. Even though MC was so much younger than Dom, he was always so friendly and encouraging. MC watched Dom go to Otis and he followed in his footsteps. He was a role model, a mentor, and a friend. Dom continued to show all of us what it looks like to be a champion. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Dear Don, Jane and Amy,,
Please know my heart is heavy with concern and grief..Please know you're in my heart at this difficult time ..I'm so sorry about Dom...God loves his heart...
Love,
Jan Cooper

Unknown said...

I did not directly know him, but I can tell that his character has influenced more people than anyone could imagine. He was surrounded by good people. People like him are a blessing in our lives and will always live in the hearts of those who he touched. Mine and my family's condolences and prayers go out to his family and network of friends.
Javier Monge